CFP: Edited Volume on Early Maritime Cultures on the East African Coast

CFP: Edited Volume on Early Maritime Cultures on the East African Coast

Dear colleagues,

I am happy to report that Archaeopress has agreed to publish the proceedings of the conference "Early Maritime Cultures on the East African Coast" recently held at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Further, they were kind enough to allow me to expand the pool of submissions to include not only those who participated in the conference, but also those who did not. Therefore, I request any of you who are interested in this subject to please contact me by January 1st 2016 letting me know of your interest. I will then send you Archaeopress's formatting guidelines. For now, please aim at a 8000-word article.

The subject matter can deal with any aspect of pre-colonial maritime culture in East Africa and can be submitted by scholars of any discipline. However, articles dealing with subject matter post-1500 CE will also be considered, if they are relevant to understanding the precolonial past. Other topics potentially include: hinterland-coast relations, foreign presence in East Africa, foreign writings on East Africa, etc.
For scholars of science and technology, this topic is of significance because of the paucity of research on seafaring and maritime technology in early East Africa.

Once more, please let me know by January 1st 2016 of your interest and I will send you the formatting guidelines.

Best wishes,

Akshay Sarathi
sarathi@wisc.edu