Linda Hall Library announces virtual fellowships for 2021-22
The Linda Hall Library is now accepting applications for its 2021-22 fellowship program. These fellowships provide graduate students, postdoctoral researchers, and independent scholars in the history of science and related STS fields with financial support to explore the Library’s outstanding science and engineering collections.
The Linda Hall Library holds over half a million monograph volumes and more than 48,000 journal titles documenting the history of science and technology from the 15th century to the present. Its collections are exceptionally strong in the engineering disciplines, chemistry, and physics. The Library also boasts extensive resources related to natural history, astronomy, environmental and earth sciences, aeronautics, life sciences, infrastructure studies, mathematics, and the history of the book.
Due to the public health risks associated with the coronavirus pandemic, all Linda Hall Library fellowships during the 2021-22 academic year will be virtual. Instead of traveling to Kansas City, virtual fellows will conduct research from off-site using digitized resources in the Library’s collections. These virtual fellowships reflect the Library’s ongoing efforts to expand the accessibility of its holdings while protecting the safety of both patrons and staff.
- A virtual introduction to the Library’s collections
- Personalized research assistance from members of the Library’s reference staff
- The ability to request complimentary scans of Linda Hall Library resources in accordance with the Library’s digitization policies
- Opportunities to participate in the Library’s in-house works-in-progress seminar alongside scholars from the University of Missouri-Kansas City, the University of Kansas, and the Clendening History of Medicine Library, as well as working groups organized by the Consortium for the History of Science, Technology and Medicine
- Chances to share their projects with new audiences in Kansas City and around the world through the Library’s public lecture series, newsletter, or other online platforms
- Invitations to Library programs and social events including coffee breaks, brown bag lunches, happy hours, etc.
Please share this information with graduate students, colleagues, or anyone else who might be interested in the Linda Hall Library’s fellowship program. All application materials are due no later than January 15, 2021. For further information, please visit https://www.lindahall.org/